FHS 16

FHS 16

Friday, January 16, 2015

Endangered Animals




If an animal species goes endangered I would do as much as I could to save it. Sadly, scientists believe that for some animals it’s too late ex. Hawksbill turtle. The Hawksbill turtle is critically endangered because it has almost been hunted to extinction for it’s “tortoiseshell.” Tourists are another reason: they step on nests, step on babies while they're on their way to the water, and if babies fall into a sand castle they dry up. Usually only one of one thousand turtles survives. The Black soft shelled turtle, on the other hand, live in one pond by a religious shrine in Bangladesh. The remaining 400 turtles survive on food given to them by the visitors. To rescue the species scientists are trying to protect the turtles from disease.

Now, if an animal is extinct, that doesn't always mean it doesn’t exist any more. It just means it doesn’t exist in the wild. The Przewalski’s horse can only be found in captivity. It is much smaller than other horses. The last time it has been seen in the wild was in 1968. The remaining 1200 horses can be found in zoos, private preserves, and protected areas in Mongolia. Some groups of captive-bred horses have been released in the wild. Another extinct animal is the Quagga. It does not live in captivity. It was believed to be a separate breed that was hunted to extinction. Recent DNA tests prove the Quagga was actually a brown and white plains zebra. Some zoos and nature reserves produced a Quagga-like creature that will soon be reintroduced into the the wild.

Rabbits and Hares are also endangered for example the Amami rabbit, the Volcano rabbit, and the Hispid hare. The Amami rabbit is threatened because of habitat destruction. it is found on two islands. Only 2000 remain. The Japanese protect the rabbit and call it a “natural monument.” You can only find the Volcano rabbit in pine forests near the peaks of several volcanoes near Mexico City. Its fur blends in well with the volcanic soil. This area is now under pressure from logging and overgrazing from sheep. The Hispid hare is one of the world’s rarest mammals and was once thought to be extinct. Today 100 live in the southeastern Himalayan foothills. The future of the Hispid hare will be threatened by habitat destruction and hunting.

An animal that’s at lower risk is the Andean mountain cat, it is a solitary animal that lives in the central Andes. This cat is much more sensitive to sound than any other cat. It’s considered endangered for its rarity. Another animal that is considered endangered for its rarity is the Night parrot but unlike the Andean cat it is so rare that it is critically endangered. The Night parrot is so rare that in the last 100 years it has only been sighted a few times (about once every 10 years) Sightings even get reported in newspapers. It is not clear how many are scattered across the Australian outback-probably 50 or less. Farming and introducing predators such as cats and dogs have reduced the number of Night parrots. Another parrot that is critically endangered is the Kakapo, a  flightless parrot  that is found in New Zealand. It didn’t have any natural predators until human settlers introduced cats, rats, and dogs which caused a big decline in the Kakapo population. A captive breeding program has saved the species. The remaining 62 birds have been released on three predator free islands.

A critically endangered animal that doesn't live far from here is the Black footed ferret. The Black footed ferret once lived in the Rockies and Great Plains, where it was a predator to prairie dogs. When the prairie dog almost got extinct, for farmers saw them as pests, the Black footed ferret was thought to be extinct, until 1981 when a small group of ferrets was discovered in Wyoming. This species was saved by this population and the captive breeding program.

The Ocelot is a medium sized forest predator that lives in the tropical rainforest of South America in the 20th century millions of these cats were killed for their fur until an international treaty protected the Ocelot. But it is still threatened by habitat destruction.

Even my two favorite animals are endangered: the Giant panda, and the Lesser panda. The Giant panda is and has always been a rare animal. It lives in the mountain forests of central China. This bear-like animal has almost been hunted to extinction for its fur. Habitat destruction has also threatened them. Although there are laws to protect them, there are about 1000 left in the wild. The Lesser or red panda is related to the racoon. It lives in forests in the Himalayan foothills. It eats mainly bamboo leaves like a distant relative the Giant panda. Environmental changes threaten the Lesser panda. Captive-bred pandas have been released back in the wild.

The most important way to win the fight to save endangered species is education. The more people understand, the easier it is for us to save them.

(I got most of my facts from the endangered animals dictionary.)


-Do you think that it is important to save endangered animals, why or why not?

-Do you know of any endangered animals?

-What do you think you can do to save endangered species?

~Pandaeins

14 comments:

  1. Dear Pandaeins
    I think it is important to save endangered animals because it is very sad that they are dying.Why I think that it is important is because lots of people like certain animals and they will be very sad to see them go. For one of my birthdays I got a endangered animal book that tells my witch animals are getting extinct.

    I know some types of endangered animals there is a poison dart frog, the cheetahs, the giant pandas like you said, woodpecker, and a certain type of chameleon. I don't really know how to save the endangered animals, but I could come up with ideas if thats ok. People could be nicer to animals and not shoot them for food. I know that it is illegal to do that but you know that some people do not follow the rules. I think it was a good topic.
    tweetybird

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Pandaeins,
    you did a great job on your topic you inspired me to treat our animals with respect and care.
    Do you think that it is important to save endangered animals, why or why not...
    Panda I don't exactly know if it is a good idea to save endangered animals but personally I think it is a great idea to save, treat and help the endangered animals and not put them in an enclosure because it is like torchering them but it is a good idea to keep an eye on them!

    Do you know of any endangered animals?
    I do know that the Ocelot is like you mentioned and I don't really know any others but I would like to know so I think I will check out that site you mentioned and I might learn some new things there so that will be great!

    What do you think you can do to save endangered species?
    Yes I think I can take things about animals more serious so maybe I could do more to our earth
    help the animals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOPS I DID NOT PUT MY NAME IT IS

    Gymnast13

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really good job Pandaeins on your blog post. What made you think about this. You said your
    favorite animals are in endangered. Did you know about some of this before or did you researched it. You had a lot of ideas.

    I do think it is important to save animals because imagine if there was no animals on planet
    earth, how much different it would be. I think that the polar bears are in endangered because
    of global warming. I also know that snowy owls are in endangered. I know one way to help save animals. On Christmas my parents got me a plush polar bear stuff and that means I
    adopted one.
    bugs bunny

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think its important to save endangered animals because there be no animals at the zoo to see and if there extra food we just have to waste food then throw it in the garbage. We should just keep the endangered animals in cages or a different habitats to them safe until there not endangered anymore. I do not know any of the endangered animals right now.

    I might know some in the future. I don't know, maybe this year some day. I would put it on the web site sometime and maybe people would start doing that

    -Candyman

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that was one of the longest posts I’ve ever seen Pandaeins. I think it is very important to save endangered animals, because animals are kind of like us. They have a life just like us. And if a whole bunch of animals were going endangered, it should be as bad as humans going endangered also. Animals are important, and if we didn’t have animals in our world, we wouldn’t exist. So it’s a good thing to keep animals on our planet and not let them die. And, we humans are mammals (I think) so if a disease that severely affects mammals, we could be in trouble. I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to die.

    Currently, I don’t know any endangered animals besides the ones that Pandaeins typed out on his blog post. Sorry for the inconvenience.

    Well, we could do something to save endangered animals. Don’t hunt animals!!! (Except for deer, because they taste good). And, in Pandaeins first paragraph, he said that the Hawksbill Turtle is endangered. They are endangered because some people hunt them, and some people accidently step on their nests. So, heres another way to save animals, watch your step. Who knows, maybe it could help save animals!

    Save the animals!

    -Waspy14

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Pandaeins I think your blog is a very imported because most animals or anything really is very imported that we keep alive.

    I think it is VERY imported that we save animals if we don't we may die most things on this planet is imported to keep alive. I love animals and hearing about them die is very emotional for me so we must keep animals. I want to keep all the animals alive. I don't want to die any way. PLEASE PLEASE help me keep animals alive.

    I know of the Amur Leapard it is a beautiful cat. They live in Amur-heilong. They are critically endangered. I love cats.
    http://www.altaconservation.org/wp-content/blogs.dir/6/files/home-page-best/whf_alta-amur-leopard-chapter-waza-book-pic-11-whf.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don’t know of any endangered animals but I do know how to prevent them from going extinct. By putting the endangered animals in outdoor natural preserves and allowing them to feel like they’re in the wild when they’re in captivity with walls spanning from 200m to 400m circled.

    Here are some animals that are extinct:
    Abbott's Booby
    Abbott's Duiker
    Abbott's Starling
    Abdulali's Wrinkled Frog
    Abe's Salamander
    Aberdare Cisticola
    Aberdare Mole Shrew
    Abolokopatrika Madagascar Frog
    Abor Bug-eyed Frog
    Abra Acanacu Marsupial Frog
    Abra Malaga Toad
    Abronia deppii
    Abronia martindelcampoi
    Abyssinian Longclaw
    Acadian Whitefish
    Acancocha Water Frog
    Acanthobrama centisquama
    Acanthobrama telavivensis
    Acanthocyclops hypogeus
    Acanthodactylus ahmaddisii
    Acanthodactylus mechriguensis
    Acanthomyops latipes

    waxierwarf360

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well Pandaeins I know that Rhino is extinct because so many people want their horns. I like Rhino because there cool animals this might be going a bit off topic but my uncle went to this tour of mini africa and saw lots of Rhinos and giraffes and they have PURPLE TONGUES. If you didn't know that now you do and this is hard to write anymore.

    Fun Fact: The blue whale is endangered. :(
    The african wild wolf is to.
    -count sudoku

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear pandaeins I thought that this blog had lots of meaning in it. On the question ‘’ Do you think its important to save endangered animals ‘’,I think YES! We could start by making an effort to not litter. Did you know many sea animals are killed by litter by the ocean .The endangered animals I know of are the gray whale sea Otter and the Beluga whale. Lots of any animals are losing their habitat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear pandaeins ,
    I think it is important to save endangered animals because most of them haven't done anything wrong. I also don't think it is nice that most of the people want to use the fur. And it is not fair because they use it for such a dumb reason, like blankets, fur coats, and carpets, oh boy would I hate to step on animal fur.

    I know that the whooping crane and the spotted owl are on the list of endangered species. I think it is sad because I really love birds because I'm fascinated by them and especially big birds and owl. I mostly like birds because of there beautiful colours on there wings. I would save endangered animals by making a speech in front of people and telling them that all they want is to live and most of them did nothing to us.

    -bluebell08-

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is important to save endangered animals because if you go to a zoo and there is no animals there it will be so boring. Some of these endangered animals are not harmful so that's why we should protect these animals.

    I only know two animals that are almost instanced:

    Abdulali's Wrinkled Frog
    Abe's Salamander

    I really don't know how we can save endangered species but maybe I can look into that. Maybe in the future I might know but now I don't know how we can save them.

    -candyapple



    ReplyDelete
  13. AWESOME post Pandaeins,
    My favorite animal is the western lowland Gorilla! Here is a link to a picture.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/50/Male_gorilla_in_SF_zoo.jpg
    The western lowland Gorilla (scientific name: Gorilla gorilla) is threatened by habitat destruction and illegal poaching. The western lowland Gorilla has no predators except Humans and sometimes leopards, but the silver backs can scare most leopards by roaring.
    I think everyone's favorite animal should be an endangered animal so that they are encouraged to help that species. Two other endangered animal that I know of are the Emperor penguin and the Snowy owl. The Emperor penguin and the Snowy owl both are threatened by the melting of the polar ice caps.

    It is important to save these animals because if we don't then soon there will be no animals in the world anymore. I don't think it is fair that humans had to be the really advanced species in evolution because all some of us do is destroy the habitats of animals. To save endangered species I think we could: 1. Think of an alternative for wood 2. Try to stop polluting to slow down global warming 3. Think of an alternative for oil. And that is what I think we should try to do.

    -Awesomeness

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Pandaeins,

    Yes I do believe in saving the endangered species of animals because without animals we have a much different lifestyle. Some of the reasons in which the animals are getting extincted are very sad like you said that some tourists are stepping on the habitats and animals are dying is not what we need in the world. It will be different with some species.


    I do think elephants are endangered species in the wild because they are being killed for their tusks and probably other parts too. There are other endangered species and their are tons of different species.


    What I think that we can do to save the animals. Well we could drive in cars less by walking or driving in the bus (school or public)to reduce the amount of pollution. We could be more careful of where we step (like trying not to step in habitats when going on tour. As well as that we could try not to cut down so many habitats or open area for jobs (ex.the oil industry). Their are probably many other reasons how we could save the endangered species.

    Great post

    -falling26

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews