FHS 16

FHS 16

Thursday, September 20, 2012

High Level bridge waterfall


Have you seen this? The High Level bridge in Edmonton has a waterfall that is man made and runs occasionally. The continual running of this waterfall is up for debate at city council (a group of decision makers for the city), as there are concerns on its cost as well as environmental impact. The 64-metre waterfall was installed on the High Level bridge in 1980, to celebrate the province’s 75th Anniversary.
 A CBC article has the following arguments:

“It’s overused, this idea of things that are iconic. Here we have something that I actually think actually is iconic in the minds of people all over Edmonton,” said Coun. Ben Henderson.

“Environmental standards have changed over the last 30 years, and what was acceptable 20 years ago is not necessarily acceptable today,” said Coun. Tony Caterina.

The city still hasn’t found a new source for the water.
One option is to use chemicals to de-chlorinated the water that was previously used for the waterfall.
Another is to use untreated river water, which would require new pumps and infrastructure, which could cost up to $2 million, according to early estimates.
The work likely wouldn’t be done in time to have the waterfall turned on for the High Level’s anniversary in 2013.
City council still has to make the final determination on the waterfall’s fate.

What do you think of these statements?


25 comments:

  1. I never knew that there was a water fall there, I want to see that up and running sometime.

    -Threwit

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the highlevel bridge waterfall is a really cool . The only thing that I don't really like is that it only happens on Canada day, another thing is that I really want to know who's idea it was.

    -Captain

    ReplyDelete
  3. The high level bridge looks really cool.
    I also never knew there was water fall there.Oh
    and nice picture.

    -Gorreyalliz

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never knew there was a waterfall on the high level bridge. It is so cool and colourful. Its awesome.
    - flipster

    ReplyDelete
  5. I once was under that waterfall but I never saw it in action so I really want to see it.From this picture it really looks fantastic.

    -Dr. Future

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never knew that there was a waterfall. It looks so pretty. I would love to see that!

    - Evil cheesecake

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Threwit it happens every Canada day

    -captain

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never seen this water fall. Does it only appear at dusk or all the time. Are you sure its the high level? But if its actually there Id like to see it sometime.

    -whofungpoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm sure it's the High level.

      -Mr. edible stuff

      Delete
  10. I don't know about anybody else but I think that waterfall is just plain awesomeness, but they should hold off on construction until after the anniversary.

    -Mr. edible stuff

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I never knew there is a waterfall under
    high level bridge. I would like to see it.

    -Mr. Anonomous

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is really nice. The colours really work. The photographer must have really thought about the timing in this one! Everyone on Canada Day must have been astonished!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


    -mmm....Pizza

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow. I never knew that there was a waterfall. Maybe I should go see it on Canada Day. I really like the picture

    -Evil bunny

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was a awesome article/picture.I wish I could see it in real life.All I can say is awesome article/picture.
    -jdogg102

    ReplyDelete
  15. It would be so cool to see it working! It would be so cool to go with family and friends!

    -Mr. Green

    ReplyDelete
  16. How much water does it use? When on how long is it on for? Does it use energy?

    Eagle hood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It uses 50,000 litres a minute!
      -Mr. edible stuff

      Delete
  17. I think it really looks cool! I like the colour they used for it and how huge it is.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What ever happened to Dale Phillips, who along with Peter Lewis, brainstormed the Highlevel water fall back in the mid-1980's.

    - Threwit

    ReplyDelete
  19. I thought that cars and other gasoline machines were what polluted our air. I think that what we need is a more efficient energy.Like wind energy and water energy. The problem with solar is that its expensive. Any ideas on that?

    EAGLE HOOD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only problem with the wind energy idea is that it's not windy enough.

      -Mr. edible stuff

      Delete
    2. Nice blog by the way. I like it.
      -Mr.Anon

      Delete
  20. That's AWESOME!!! I wish I could've seen it in real life!!!

    ~skijigger101

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think that the money should be used for poor countries rather than for the jump. That money wasn't properly used. It is interesting that he broke the sound barrier, yes. And he became famous. But I still think that the money was wasted. Nice blog by the way.

    -Mr. Anon.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews